THE NEWARK PUBLIC LIBRARY, VAN BUREN BRANCH
The main library is at 5 Washington Street. 733-7800.
The Van Buren branch, located in Newark's Ironbound district, opened its doors in September of 1923. Today it is a cultural anchor for a population of about 15,000 children and adults. The branch serves eight public schools and four parochial schools; it now is a site for the Library's popular "Club Success" after-school homework club. (For more information about "Club Success," call the branch at (973) 733-3897.) Adult use exceeds that of any other branch.
The Van Buren Branch Library, located in Newark's Ironbound district first opened its doors on September 23, 1923. For more than 70 years, the branch has been a cultural and educational center within the community, serving over 30,000 children and adults from predominately European and Latin American backgrounds.
The Van Buren Branch Library is recognized by this diverse population as the "jewel" of the community and where generational ties are still evident.
Because of its high visibility and patron use, the "new" Van Buren is equipped with computer-based resources such as multimedia CD-ROM and on-line capability. It provides resources and services to assist children with homework and other studies, Portuguese language materials, and a community room for meetings and programs.
Books in Portuguese (Livros em Portugese)
The library has books in Spanish and Portuguese along with some Spanish language magazines and magazines from Portugal. There is a sign saying that the books in Portuguese were given by the Brazilian American United Association.
A unique feature of the Van Buren Branch Library is the Portuguese language collection. This select collection of Portuguese literature includes fiction and non-fiction titles for both children and adults. The Portuguese language collection serves to bring a little bit of home and familiarity to the many Portuguese immigrants who live in the Ironbound area and who continue to preserve their native language and culture. While most of the Portuguese children are fluent in English, many not only attend public school but also go to "Portuguese School" in the afternoons where classes are taught in Portuguese.
Van Buren, 140 Van Buren St., (973)733-7750
The library had two newspapers, The Portuguese Post, Portuguese-American newsweekly from Newark, NJ and the Luso-Americano, a Portuguese-American Semiweekly newspaper also from Newark.
Luso-Americano at 88 Ferry Street. Portuguese newspaper founded in 1928. It has around 10,000 readers. Oldest Portuguese newspaper in the country and the largest in paid circulation. Luso refers to the ancient Roman name, Lusitania, for the area now occupied by modern Portugal. (Carteret Savings and Loan Association).
Novos Rumose ("New Ways") bimonthly Portuguese newspaper put out by Our Lady of Fatima Church at 82 Congress Street. It is non-profit and with a circulation of over 5,000. (Carteret Savings and Loan Association).
Return to Main Page Table of Contents
Return to Home Page