Social Clubs and Recreation
For Brazilians there are the Jersey Brazilians and the Brazilian Club of New Jersey.
The largest of the clubs is Sport Club Portuguese. It has two soccer teams and a school, Escola de Luis Camoes. It has an enrollment of 600 in six grades. It is located at 51-57 Prospect Street. The classes are taught in Portuguese. There are 1,500 members.
Soccer provides a focal point for many clubs. Sport teams A and B of the club compete with other Portugese teams in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Sport Club Maritimo was founded in 1922 with 700 members. There are quite a few other Portuguese clubs.
BOLSAS DE ESTUDOA Brazilian American United Association, Inc. (BAUA) está oferecendo duas bolsas de estudo a estudantes brasileiros. O prazo de inscrições vai até 31 de março. Informe-se pelo telefone (973) 344-1111 ou escreva para a BAUA, Inc. no seguinte endereço: 45 Congress Street, Newark, NJ, Zip 07105-2203.
Independence Park (originally Eastside park) was begun in 1896. In 1923 the name was changed. It is the largest park in the Ironbound neighborhood. Italians moved to the area south of Independence Park.
Take a walk through Independence Park, where old men play bocce and their younger counterparts kick soccer balls. The park, bounded by Walnut, Oliver, Van Buren, and Adams streets, is a spacious oasis in the otherwise crowded neighborhood. It's a good place to sit with a coffee and Portuguese pastry.
Saint James Hospital
In the heart of the thriving Ironbound community, located at the intersection of Jefferson and Elm streets, near Ferry Street, is the St. James Hosptial.
Newark's newest Emergency Department, a 13-bed unit with family-centered environment including a fast track and a new waiting room. They have a Family Care Center for adults and children. The hospital has a totally renovated and beautifully appointed Labor and Delivery Unit to be completed in 1997.
The hospital offers a broad range of services including medical-surgical care, critical care, mammography, dialysis, laser surgery, pain management, preventive care, diabetes education and more. It serves as the headquarters during emergencies at Newark Airport, Port Newark and local factories.
The hospital chapel's stained glass windows depict the patron saints of most of the residents' countries of origin.
The St. James Roman Catholic Church was demolished for the St. James Hospital parking lot at 250 Lafayette Street. The church was once the focal point of a thriving Irish community. (Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, 1983).
Return to Main Page Table of Contents
Return to Home Page